The S word ... and I didn't cringe

The prize for most interesting blog post I have read this week goes to Solo Feminity (link down the side of the page) and this link described by the blog author Carolyn McCulley as an
'interview with Kelly McMillen, the bride of Rob McMillen and new mother of Dorothy Rose...The goal of these interviews is to help us think both biblically and realistically about marriage and what life is like when the honeymoon is over and the real living begins'

Yes the article even includes submission .... (I didn't cringe when I read it this time) this is either a sign that I am growing up in my Christianity or have become immune to conservative christian christianize, although I hope it is the former.

Interestingly titled: Killing An Attitude of Entitlement

It's long but very very interesting article - a couple of quotes to get you going.


. What was the biggest surprise to you after marriage? I think I may have believed that submission, as biblically defined, would be easier than it actually is. I had such a desire to be married, to serve a godly husband, and to learn how to be a godly, submissive wife. So I guess perhaps I thought this strong desire would make me better at it. (Ha ha!) I never anticipated how many times we would disagree on small things, mostly matters of preference, and how I was not at all entitled to have my own way on these things just because they were small, or just because they fell under the category of home management, or for any other reason

4. How do you think single woman should pursue/prepare for marriage?

....
(6) Look for ways to encourage the men in your circle to lead. Don’t try to be the ‘leader’ in group situations where there are men present, even if those men might not be the strongest leaders you know. If you really feel like you have unique gifting appropriate for the situation, perhaps ask them what you can do to help, rather than just ‘taking charge’. It will help you to practice a peaceful and gentle spirit in preparation for what it looks like to submit in marriage, and it will encourage growth in their leadership.



What is one thing about men you learned after marriage? I think I have learned, and am learning, that biblical leadership is just as hard for them as biblical submission is for us. (Just look at Genesis 3 - it’s because of the fall, in both cases!) I think I was tempted in the beginning to think that men have it easier than women because as leaders, they have the final say on decisions. But they bear a lot of responsibility in this regard. They are one day going to be held accountable before God for how they led their wife and family. Not to mention the fact that their leadership should be primarily characterized by sacrificial love. So, it isn’t enough for them to just be good decision-makers. God knows their hearts and sees when they are leading sacrificially versus when they are leading from self-interest....


GO READ........ OFF YOU GO

0 thoughts - add yours!: