A Challenge to Women

John Piper is fantastic. If you haven't heard him speak or read any of his work then you have obviously been caught up in the Rob Bell phenomena or have been under a rock somewhere. Seriously. He has a very sound theology. I went to his library and found this list which is a Challenge to Women ,the list lists 15 things, the vast majority of which (barring number 15......but that is a different discussion, not for below) I whole heartedly support, and have been convicted by and am up for the challenge for. I have highlighted a few that I think are relevant to the demographic who read this blog. If you want to read the rest the link is at the bottom.

  1. That all of your life—in whatever calling—be devoted to the glory of God.
  2. That the promises of Christ be trusted so fully that peace and joy and strength fill your soul to overflowing.
  3. That this fullness of God overflow in daily acts of love so that people might see your good deeds and give glory to your Father in heaven.
  4. That you be women of the Book, who love and study and obey the Bible in every area of its teaching. That meditation on Biblical truth be the source of hope and faith. And that you continue to grow in understanding through all the chapters of your life, never thinking that study and growth are only for others.
  5. That you be women of prayer, so that the Word of God would open to you; and the power of faith and holiness would descend upon you; and your spiritual influence would increase at home and at church and in the world
  6. That you be women who have a deep grasp of the sovereign grace of God undergirding all these spiritual processes, that you be deep thinkers about the doctrines of grace, and even deeper lovers and believers of these things.
  7. That you be totally committed to ministry, whatever your specific role, that you not fritter your time away on soaps or ladies magazines or aimless hobbies, any more than men should fritter theirs away on excessive sports or aimless diddling in the garage. That you redeem the time for Christ and his Kingdom.
  8. That, if you are single, you exploit your singleness to the full in devotion to Christ and not be paralyzed by the desire to be married.
  9. That you not assume that secular employment is a greater challenge or a better use of your life than the countless opportunities of service and witness in the home the neighborhood, the community, the church, and the world.
  10. That you develop a wartime mentality and lifestyle; that you never forget that life is short, that billions of people hang in the balance of heaven and hell every day, that the love of money is spiritual suicide, that the goals of upward mobility (nicer clothes, cars, houses, vacations, food, hobbies) are a poor and dangerous substitute for the goals of living for Christ with all your might, and maximizing your joy in ministry to people's needs.

By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: http://www.blogger.com/www.desiringGod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByTopic/44/1746_A_Challenge_to_Women/

Posted in |

4 thoughts - add yours!:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    not exactly much of a challenge if you leave out the most challenging parts

  2. Lisa Says:

    I agree Stan, I am not going to get into meaningless debate. As I said at the top of my post

    , I have highlighted a few that I think are relevant to the demographic who read this blog

  3. Debs Says:

    Hi Lisa

    I did something a few weeks ago that has been very healing for me. I boxed up all the christian books i own and gave them to a friend to look after. I realised that everytime i walked past them i felt guilty, bad and not like a 'proper' christian

    I read that list and remembered a time when I could say yes to nearly everything on that list - or at least heading in the right direction.

    Now when I read things like that a part of me feels a longing but the other part closes off and says "no, too much". For me at the moment, all i can do is say "hi" to God....and thats it. I can praise him from time to time in song, and i think about Him a lot, but thats it. And thats ok. Thats all I have.

    Im enjoying, for the 5 short years of being a christian, not feeling guilty or bad. Not feeling pressured or weighed down with the things im not doing. At one stage 5 nights of the week were filled up with some activity, life group, running Alpha, bible school, church x2, evangelism classes. You know the drill. Now for the first time I have NOTHING but God and even though it feels empty, I feel full.

    I miss the Lords voice, and i think with the high amounts of stress Ive been under its no wonder.

    Anyway the point was just to say hi :) and to comment that, for ME, it is freeing to no longer feel I must live up to something or be something. Im Debs and thats all I can be really.

  4. Lisa Says:

    Hey Debs! Thanks so much, you are a real gem :) I really have to come to BP some time and hang with you people...

    I totally emphathise.... I very much know the drill... christian nomism (and legalism) are very unhealthy and can cause incredible amounts of stress.

    I think what John was trying to emphasise with the list was a healthy work life balance, one that has both Christ and the secular world in balance, where we don't live in the christian bubble. I don't think he was saying (nor do i advocate) that we should live by the list as a mantra in order to become 'more Christian' one can never become 'more Christian'.

    I'm rambling...but i hope i have communicated something clearly after a day of year 5's and year 6's!

    Peace Debs : )